Many would believe that vegetarian lifestyle is not suitable for bodybuilders, as they falsely believe that diet not involving meat would be insufficient. This review argues otherwise, showing that bodybuilding vegetarian way is quite possible and healthy. The lifestyle itself has its own indisputable pros, which shall be presented as well.
We go over the diet program in terms of needed nutrition, meal plan and calorie calculations for each single food material needed for your body to develop properly and healthy. It is no secret that right nutrition is a crucial element in the recipe for success when it comes to intense workout. Building the muscle tones and mass, apart from correct exercises, also demands sufficient and planned meals on daily basis.
If you are considering switching towards a vegetarian lifestyle, this brief section will introduce you to the world without a meat. Those that are already following the route can scroll down to next section of the article.
Being vegetarian means eating meals that do not include food of animal origin. The cosine has several advantages over the non-vegetarian programs, specifically in reduced cholesterol and gluten. There are several types of vegetarian diets, them being:
– Lacto Vegetarianism: Dairy products are part of the meals.
– Lacto-Ovo Vegetarianism: Lacto-Ovo vegetarians are considered to constitute the largest vegetarian population, as both eggs and dairy products are part of the meals.
– Ovo Vegetarianism: a reversed version of Lacto Vegetarianism where eggs are on the menu buy diary meals and meat are not.
– Veganism: a relatively new form of the vegetarian lifestyle that completely disregards meals containing any type of food of animal origin. Individuals following this program do not eat dairy food, eggs or any type of meat.
Vegetarian Food Supplements and Capsules
Most of the regular capsules and supplements contain gelatin of the animal origins, something that vegetarian bodybuilders should avoid if they wish to follow up the program. The vegetarian counterparts contain natural non-gelatin supplements, most popular being Agar-agar (derived from a seaweed).
It is up to bodybuilder to choose the best suiting supplements for their program, while we would make a point to check the ingredients and avoid those products that contain gelatin in them.
The sequence of the meals remains the same for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian meal programs, which states that five meals a day are the most optimal plan to follow. The meals should be divided into smaller amounts, without the need to overbear the body with large food quantities.
The first meal should start early in the morning, around 8 am, while the last meal should be no later than 10 pm. The plan below can be reconstructed with different types of food mentioned in this vegetarian bodybuilding diet plan, according to your needs and body type.
Values expressing volume and calories are approximations, which can vary depending on the company that packages these products. Make sure you read the nutrition facts at the back of the package to get the right numbers.
Breakfast Meal Plan
In the early morning (8 am), we would recommend the following meal program:
– Granola: 2/3 of the plate (around 45 grams – 210 calories)
– Soy milk: 2 cups (around 196 calories)
– Orange: 1 piece (around 47 calories)
The total value of the meal is 453 calories.
Lunch Meal Plan
For the lunch meal (the period between 11 am and 13 pm), the following program is recommended:
– Soy Meat: 2 pieces or in slices (around 230 grams – 387 calories)
– Soy Cheese: 2 slices (around 56 grams – 140 calories)
– Wheat Bread: 2 pieces (around 56 grams – 138 calories)
The total value of the meal is 665 calories.
Evening Meal Plan
In terms of the evening meal (the period between 6 pm to 8 pm), we recommend eating:
– Rice + Your Choice Of Protein: 1 cup (around 60 grams – 78 calories)
– Organic Soda: 1 cup (around 226 grams – 80 calories)
– Apple: 1 piece (around 182 grams – 95 calories)
The total value of the meal is 253 calories.
For the snacks, you can have two additional meals, eating one of the following products:
– Protein Bar: 1 bar (around 80 grams – 331 calories)
– Banana: 1 piece (around 118 grams – 105 calories)
– Rice Protein: 1 cup (around 60 grams – 78 calories)
– Tofu: 1 cup (around 100 grams – 76 calories)
– Salad: 1 package (around 116 grams – 177 calories)
– Soy Cheeseburger: 1 plate (around 100 grams – 116 calories)
– Peanut butter (around 16 grams – 94 calories)
As for the beverages, we generally would recommend avoiding all types of sodas and non-natural juices. Water and freshly-made drinks from fruits and vegetables can be a great source of refreshment, while coffee, sodas and other types of beverages should be avoided.
Another exclusion to the rule is protein shakes, though you should adhere to the mentioned plan above to keep up with the calorie program.
The relief meals, including soy ice creams and other products heavy on sugar, could be used once in a day, twice a week as a reprieve from the regime. We would not recommend eating these meals frequently, as the said nutrition program may contain large amounts of calories.
We would recommend the relief meals at the beginning stages of the bodybuilding process since it would provide a necessary psychological boost for the individual.
Non-training Day Meal Plan
For the non-training day, we would recommend adhering to the usual training day meal, with the exception of one snack. In this day, your body rests from the training and consummates the food eaten previously, thus we would recommend adhering to the usual program, with the exclusion of one smaller meal.
Calculate your Calories
According to the numerous research studies and programs around the world, there is the general consensus regarding the daily calories intake for genders. Females should follow the 1,600 calories a day plan while males should follow 2,500 of daily calories.
A bodybuilder should calculate his or her meals on the daily basis, especially at times if the relief meals are included. Our overall plan value stands at 1,371 calories, with two snacks available to play around with until you reach the desired daily volume. In case you wish to reach 2,500 calories, simply add two snacks into the lunch or breakfast program.
Wrapping it Up
With the correct meal plan, you can build up your body properly and live a healthy lifestyle. It does require drastic changes if you have been used to few but large meals or if you wish to switch towards vegetarianism.
Persistence is the key to the success in many aspects. The bodybuilding diet is no different in that aspect, as it requires careful planning and strict adherence to it.